The countdown to Season 2 begins!
…This is the hook for the season? Really? Not how Skye is improving as an agent, how May is adjusting, how Trip is fitting into the team, how Fitz is recovering and Simmons is coping with it, or even how Coulson is dealing with everything- we’re supposed to care how Ward is doing?
I’m excited about AoS s2, but this is the one part I couldn’t care less about, unless the answer to what he’ll become is “someone who recognizes that part of redemption is putting your own needs below the needs of the people you’ve hurt, even if they aren’t young attractive white men.”
WHY IS HE STILL ON THE SHOW
I can’t count the ways in which I do not caaaaaaaaaaare what happens to Ward, I wanna know what happens to Antoine Triplett or May or literally anyone else at all.
WHY ARE WE BEING ASKED TO CARE ABOUT THE ACTUAL NAZI. Oh wait I know why.
Do not care about Ward, either. Give me May. Give me Trip (oh god give me Trip). Give me Skye. Anything but Ward’s continued saga of manpain.
Given other casting announcements, my hope is the answer to this question is “The first person Bobbi Morse hits repeatedly in the face with a stick, on camera, that’s what he’ll become”
Yeah, hopefully the answer to this question is ‘a drooling, bloody mess, spitting out his teeth before being locked away and forgotten about foreeeeevvvvvveeeer’. Fuck Ward. I just wanted him gone.
Anita Sarkeesian, whose excellent Tropes vs Women in Video Games series is an important contribution to the discussion of gender and games, has been driven from her home by enraged male gamers whose stalking, and explicit, credible threats of sexual violence against her and her family convinced her to go into hiding.
In so doing, these men have ably demonstrated the point Sarkeesian sought to make all along: that gaming is riddled with misogynistic violence, and that this violence reflects a real-world misogyny rampant within the gaming world.
Trolls drive Anita Sarkeesian out of her house to prove misogyny doesn’t exist [Adi Robertson/The Verge]
JACK KIRBY IN CONTEXT
Two years ago, Jack Kirby’s granddaughter Jillian launched Kirby4Heroes, a campaign to raise funds for the Hero Initiative, which helps comic artists in need. On the Kirby4Heroes Facebook page, Jillian posted several vintage pictures of her grandfather.
I thought it would be illuminating to provide a guide to what Kirby was working on at the time of each photo. Sometimes we forget that personal and professional lives don’t exist in vacuums.
(1) July 1941: Only months after the introduction of Captain America, Kirby and Joe Simon would soon leave Timely Comics. Jack and Roz Kirby spent a day at Brighton Beach.
(2) May 1961: Fantastic Four #1 was in development. It would hit newsstands on August 8. Bar Mitzvah for Neal Kirby.
(3) December 1963. Avengers #4, featuring the return of Captain America, was on newsstands. Tales of Suspense #52, featuring the first appearance of Black Widow, was at the printers. The growing Kirby family celebrated Hanukkah.
(4) July 1965: The debuts of the Inhumans (in Fantastic Four) and the Sentinels (in X-Men) were in production.
(5) June 1966: The fully-Kirby-scripted S.H.I.E.L.D. story in Strange Tales #148 hit newsstands (along with all of these). “I [did] a little editing later, but it was [Jack’s] story.” Lee said in an interview. Neal Kirby graduated.
On July 12, after Joe Simon began efforts to claim sole ownership of Captain America, Martin Goodman persuaded Jack Kirby to sign a deposition stating that Captain America, and all the work he’d done for Timely in the early 40s, was done with the understanding that it “belonged to Timely.”
(You can read much more about this in Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.)
All images ©2013 by Connie, Neal and Jillian Kirby.
you know, i’m a raging lesbian and i was never distracted by what other girls in my classes were wearing in high school. this is a male problem, not an “attracted to women” problem.
This is an “inability to respect women” problem.
Which is a male problem.
A male and female Republicans problem, but overwhelmingly male, definitely.
An African-American film producer in Beverly Hills for an Emmy pre-party was handcuffed and detained for around six hours on Friday night as police believed he fit the description of a suspect in a nearby bank robbery.
Charles Belk said he left a restaurant alone to refill a parking meter when he was suddenly surrounded by six police cars “handcuffed very tightly, fully searched for weapons, and placed back on the curb,” he wrote on his Facebook page with an accompanying photo of him sitting on the curb as two police officers stand close by.
EVEN IF YOU IN A BENZ YOU STILL A NIGGA IN A COUPE
To paraphrase George Wallace: racism now, racism tomorrow, racism forever.
- Mike Brown’s mom laid flowers where he was shot and police let a dog pee on the memorial site
- “Stand Up Against Racism" demonstration outside US Embassy in London
- Police claim to have no records of arrests of journalists
- Illinois school bans discussions of Mike Brown’s death
- Gov. Nixon introduces new Public Safety Director
- Push for police to wear body cameras continues
- Jon Stewart on Ferguson
a few quick reminders:
- that thing you did that was kind of embarrassing and weird, everyone else forgot about that already
- you look fine today, if you can’t notice something on your face standing 6 feet from a mirror then nobody else will either
- if something is out of your…